Monday, August 13, 2012

Genesis

In the beginning there was Greek...and the Greek was insanely difficult and induced for me several crises of faith. It's been just over two weeks and I've had at least 6 times so far where I just didn't want to be a pastor anymore. "Please, God! Let me just do something where I won't have to learn Greek!" But, after many encouraging talks with Olivia, and, as always, by the grace of God, I stuck with it and am nearing the end of my first seminary class. It's actually getting pretty exciting, because we're able to translate some of the New Testament now. It really is incredible to read God's word in its original inspired language.

Charlotte is beautiful so far. I am living in the neighborhood of McCrorey Heights, which is basically just north of downtown (or uptown, as the locals want to call it...bunch of goobers). My neighborhood is pretty nice, but the areas around us are rougher. It'll be nice to see what opportunities God sends to get involved in the community.

So far I've met several of my fellow classmates and am getting on fine with my housemates. My life has (globviously) been pretty consumed with Greek for the last two weeks, but I've still had ample opportunity to get out on the town and have fun. I've discovered something truly amazing. They've a restaurant down here called Taco Mac, and at they equipped every high-rise table with its own beer tap. Absolutely mind-bottling. I've also been introduced and am already addicted to sweet tea. Seriously, this stuff is to beverages what bacon is to food. By that I mean that I'm pretty sure that when Jesus said "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink" he was talking about sweet tea. I'll probably have so much diabetes by the end of my stay here,

Basically what this blog is going to look like is just that. I'm not going to try to be hip, artsy, or cool. And I will definitely not be trying to post grand theological musings because, let's face it, I'm just not as wise as I might sometimes think I am. Unless some cool thought comes to my mind and I really feel like sharing it, or I get hit by a bus and die, expect some pretty basic updates about life. I'll try to keep it fun, though.

Much love in Christ. Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment